Thursday 8 January 2015

Task 3d Critical questions and issues that emerge

Overall module one has opened my eyes completely. I hadn't realised how much I had not been using the facilities available to me to improve and develop in my professional practice. Looking at the questions provided in this task it has lead me to critical questions and issues about my professional practice. 

First of all one of the biggest areas that have appeared to me, is how crucial communication is within the industry. Whether it be whilst still performing, teaching, learning or networking it is essential. One area, is keeping up-to-date with the technology available to us. For example I bought a MacBook Air in order to make a better quality show real and videos of my work. Knowing how to use technology to its full capability is important. Remaining up-to-date with your communication technologies is key as well, social media has a lot to offer within my professional practice and it makes it easier to stay in contact with people and find more job opportunities. Ultimately the biggest topic that has emerge is how much face to face interaction and taking more time to apply for opportunities is key. 

Currently my engagement has been limited and unplanned. I realised I had not been making enough time to network with people and to stay current with what is going on in my profession. Moving forward I have made a plan of how I can improve my time management and therefore increase the amount of time I spend in this area of my work. 

After touching briefly on some areas of the industry and from sharing and listening to the experience of others it has come to my attention that although we have an incredible amount of knowledge at the end of our fingertips, we may not be using these communication technologies in the right way. These are a few questions that I would like to explore further into: 

Are we relying too much on technology rather than communicating face to face?
Has the increase of accessibility weakened the professional industry?

Another area that I want to look into is largely inspired by my tour around China. I would like to look into the opportunities available to Chinese performer. Also after struggling so much with the restrictions to certain information and realising how vulnerable you can be if you just use one source of information for your profession, I would like to look further into how performers living in China find out about job opportunities and is it restricted? These issues have lead me to ask the following questions: 


-  Why are certain websites restricted in China?  
- Can dancers be successful in this industry without the same networking Web 2.0 facilities? 
- What is the accessibility of other dance styles in China?
- Do you have to be well educated in order to get these opportunities?

- Does the language barrier make a big impact? 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Francesa - good talking with you about your ideas for Module 2 - let us know about your planning - could be china - cultural - touring! Good ideas. Also contact Sarah Smales to think abut a performers SIG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at my Module 2 blog this study period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for our skype chat. It has helped alot.

    ReplyDelete