Wednesday 7 January 2015

Task 2c: Reflective Theory


After reading Reader 2 I looked up the definition of ‘Reflection’. These were the two that I felt fitted the best of what I originally thought about reflection.

 

Serious thought or consideration (Oxford Dictionaries)

 

An idea about something, especially one that is written down or expressed (Oxford Dictionaries)

 

Looking at these definitions you get the idea that reflection is an after thought and something to look back on, weather it be about your day, an event, an encounter or a moment either in your professional or personal life. From writing my reflective journal I have realised how much reflection can help as a dancer. Without realising I have been constantly reflecting in my professional life, especially since starting the journal. As a performer you are continuously given feedback and corrections. During class and rehearsals you are given by the teacher or choreographer instant feedback usually correcting as you learn, either in your actual movement or positions or in your overall performance. Once you are performing in a show, you are usually given feedback after the performance from the dance captain, whether it is positive or negative, but all feedback is constructive. Another area I have found very useful to correct yourself is by filming your performance. Every show I have performed in I have filmed sereval times throughout the contract. This enables me to see where I can make improvements myself and to see if I have improved whilst on a contract.

 

After studying Reader 2 it has proved to me even more how important reflection is in order to progress and develop in your professional practice. The key aspects that stood out to me the most were from researchers, John Dewey, David Kolb, Howard Gardner, Donald Schön, and Robert Kottcamp. Firstly looking at Dewey, he was one of the first researchers to look into the idea of reflection. Dewey described ‘reflective thought’ as: ‘ active, persistent and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends’ (Dewey, 1933). He had the idea that experience was the key to having more knowledge and you would be better equipped in society. From reading through some of Dewey’s concepts I came to the opinion that reflection is a big key in order to improve, develop and experiment. If you are just taught information from books, teachers or online sources whether it be through reading, writing or practical work you are still learning from other sources. With reflection you yourself are looking over what you have gained from something, usually looking at what you have found out, what you thought/ felt about it and then possibly how it could be improved or a different area that could be explored.



Moving on from the idea of reflection, David Kolb came up with the Learning Cycle:

 



He thought there were four different areas in which people started to learn at different points:

-     Concrete Experience

-     Reflective Observation

-     Abstract Conceptualisation

-     Active Experimentation

 

From the example given in Reader 2, I thought about how I learnt to start a blog. Looking at these four stages I realised I came under two categories the most Active Experimentation meaning I used a trail and error process and Reflective Observation looking at other peoples to see what they had done. From analysing how I learnt to start the blog I started to think about how I learn as a performer. You can link the cycle very clearly to the process in which others and I learn new choreography or dance technique. Sometimes you will see an example or be shown (Reflective Observation) or you will try and do it yourself (Active Experimentation) or you will do it yourself and know what it should be (Concrete Experience) or you will figure it out in your head first (Abstract Conceptualisation). I found this very useful and interesting. I had not previously thought about how you start to learn something and the different ways in which each person could.

 

Moving on from Kolbs idea of the Learning Cycle, Howard Gardner (1983) looked into the possible different ways in which people can learn and understand. He called them multiple intelligences. There are eight different areas, Spatial, Verbal-linguistic, Logical-mathematics, Bodily-kinaesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Naturalistic. I found the idea of multiple intelligences very relevant for the dance world. I have noticed the different ways people find it easiest to learn choreography or technique. A great example of this is learning tap. Tap can be one of the hardest things to learn choreography for, as its not just about the steps, your alignment, the choreography or the style its also about the rhythm, the accents, and light and shade you put into the sound you are making. Looking into the process of teaching tap there are four main areas: demonstrating, speaking, counting, rhythm. Although essentially you need all areas to learn the choreography but the way in which people remember it the most is through these ideas. For example I personally find it easiest when it is demonstrated and someone sings/hums the rhythm, rather than saying the steps or counting, where as others prefer the opposite.

 

I think this concept is very important for teachers as well. If you are able to teach using different types of learning methods then you are a well rounded teacher that would get the most out of their students. As a dancer it is important to be able to learn well in all areas. When working with different choreographers each person has their own teaching style, which you would need to adapt to. Another area in which some dancers struggle with is changing their spacing or order of choreography. A role in performing is often you would have to swing. Being a swing in a show involves learning someone else's role so that if they are unable to go on through injury or illness you are able to take their place. Some performers find this role very difficult. Tharp and Reiter 2006 talk about the idea of muscle memory. If you have been use to your own spacing and choreography it is then engrained in your muscle memory and almost becomes automatic, therefore to then have to change that is quite difficult. Many dancers struggle with this and that is why if you are hired as a swing you are usually paid more, as it requires a higher skill set.

 

Another concept I thought was very relevant was Donald Schön and Robert Kottcamp. Schön (1987) came up with the concept of reflection in-action and reflection on-action. Reflection in-action is where you are reflecting whilst you are doing the activity, so as you go. Reflection on-action is where you reflect after you have done the activity. Robert Kottcamp looked into the concept further. Kottcamp called reflection in-action on-line and reflection on-action off-line. He believed that it is harder is reflect on-line than it is off-line. As dancers we naturally use reflection more on-line as we are corrected as we go by either ourselves or the teacher. Otherwise the process of development and improvement would take much longer, as it is physical and muscle memory takes over. Where as for academics it is natural to look back over something after you have finished the activity, off-line. For performers, although it is so natural to be corrected as you go you forget how youve improved and how you got there. I believe it is also important for performers to reflect off-line as well on-line, to see how they got to the end result and where they could improve from the beginning. For example whilst I was training my teachers would correct my posture when I carried out pirouettes, and said my weight was too far back. I started to correct myself when carrying out a pirouette. Reflecting on-line. However it wasn't until I had reflected off-line that I realised that my posture was not just related to my pirouettes but my posture in everyday life and whilst dancing. I realised that if I corrected my posture all the time it would increase my chances of changing this bad habit for good rather than just when I carry out a pirouette.

 

Looking at my reflective journal from the previous tasks and after reading Reader 2, I had noticed a lot about the way I learn and how different people teach. An area which I found affected me a lot was the environment in which you work in. I had been rehearsing whilst writing my journal. For the first week and a half I had rehearsals by myself, as I came into the show at the last minute. The rest of the cast knew the choreography and so it was just me and the choreographer until the last few days of rehearsals. At first I thought it was great to have one-to-one attention and it would be more beneficial, however I found the learning process incredibly hard without having the rest of the cast there. For obvious reasons, learning the routines was hard without my dance partner as you need to build a connection and get use to each other, but apart from that, I missed not having people to work with. You gain a certain atmosphere and a better understanding of the show when there are other people there to learn with. I found that I picked up the choreography quicker than usual as it was just me learning it, however I did not remember the order of the show or my spacing as well as I normally do. Without having anyone there it is very hard to place where you should be and what the overall dance is supposed to look like. After experiencing this myself I am interested into looking into this area of learning and reflecting with regards to the environment around you. 

 

Overall looking at some of the concepts on reflection, it has really opened my eyes at the ways in which you can improve and develop as a dancer if you just take time to reflect on what you have learnt. Looking at the variety of ways people learn can really help you as a dancer to know your strengths and weaknesses, but also as a teacher. I have recently started teaching however this area has made me see how I can improve as a teacher to get the best out of the students. From my own recent experience of learning I now want to explore this area more of how the environment in which you learn and reflect can have an affect on your development.
 
 
 


Reflection Image (2)



References

 


 

WBS3730 Module 1, Reader 2, BAPP Arts, Middlesex University, page 4

 


 


 

WBS3730 Module 1, Reader 2, BAPP Arts, Middlesex University, pages 5 & 6

 

WBS3730 Module 1, Reader 2, BAPP Arts, Middlesex University, pages 7 & 8

 


No comments:

Post a Comment