Monday 16 March 2015

Starting Module Two


Starting Module two has been a bit of a struggle. I have completely failed at balancing my time equally between different projects. I was also stuck on what to create my SIG group on. After reading the handbook I started looking at what I had touched upon in module one. I started a mind map on the possible things I could base my SIG around and what I was the most interested in researching more about.


After going over the questions I wanted to look into in module one, and as most of my performance experience has been touring other countries, I have decided to look into the impact that dance has on other cultures other than our western culture, and to compare the two in terms of opportunity. 

My original questions after touring China were: 

-  Why are certain websites restricted in China?  
Can dancers be successful in this industry without the same networking Web 2.0 facilities? 
What is the accessibility of other dance styles in China?
Do you have to be well educated in order to get these opportunities?
Does the language barrier make a big impact? 

Now I have narrowed down what area I want to look into, I will now get stuck into researching and create my SIG ……

5 comments:

  1. I am joining a ship which will be going around China and Japan. I am hoping that I will still be able to use social media in the same way I have been here. I remember you mentioning in Module 1 that you struggled with access!
    With regards to language barriers, I think it can have an impact on the dynamics within a cast and can cause segregation but I have been taught shows in languages I don't know and although I didn't pick them up as quick as the people who spoke the language I didn't find it to be a problem. I like that dance is a universal language! Although finding the opportunities in the first place whilst struggling with a language barrier must be very difficult (making contacts etc). x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francesca,
    interesting to hear you did a tour of China. Where abouts did you go? I lived in Macau and Hong Kong for a couple of years, and travelled to mainland China for work quite a lot. The fact that you don't have the freedom to access sites such as Facebook, or particular videos on Youtube whilst in China, was hard to get my head around.
    In terms of Macau and Hong Kong there was opportunities for local dancers, however, they seemed to be so far behind the UK in terms of our dance/ theatre culture. How did you find it in China?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, sorry for the late response, that sounds great! Hope the contract goes well. Unfortunately it can be a massive pain accessing social media sites whilst you are in China, completely depends on how good your wifi connection is and if you have a good VPN? Let me know if you need any advice on getting a better connection.
    Yes I definitely think the language barrier can cause segregation. I noticed this on my tour, however I think if both sides make an effort to communicate and want to learn more about each others culture it can help to bring the company closer. I love that dance is a universal language and it is incredible how much you can communicate even if you don't speak the same language. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth,
    Sorry for the late response, we toured around 32 Cities in China, a lot of the main cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Shen Zhen, Qing Dao, Wuhan, Chong Qing. That sounds amazing I have never been to Macau or Hong Kong. what work were you doing out there? Where did you go in China?
    Yes the limited access on the social media websites is very frustrating. That was what I found also. Apart from ballet and acrobatic shows I found the musical theatre side was limited and that they tend to bring international companies over rather than having a base there. However the money that they have put into entertainment has been incredible. Most of the theatres we performed in were very extravagant compared to what we have in the UK. How have you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Francesca, I am interested in your idea of looking at the parallels and differences between the dance industry here and in China. Especially the web restrictions placed by the state. China is not officially a communist country, but it does have many of the same controlling tendencies. How restricted was the internet there? could you elaborate?

    ReplyDelete