Tuesday 9 December 2014

Task 2b Reflective Writing Journal Writing Experience


I really enjoyed looking at different ways to write my journal. I found that some ways more usual than others. Here are two examples of my journal:

 
 
List Diagram - This is the easiest and most comfortable way for me to write. Although I found that I didn't have much detail about the day but it was good for a quick overview.
  

Day 1:

 
          Woke up and got ready for work: Need to pack bag the night before, wasted time looking for things for my day.
          Travelled to work: Easy journey to work, no train delays.
          Met the person that was taking the rehearsals for the next few days: Felt very nervous as it was the first day of rehearsals and it was just me rehearsing with the Dance Captain. 
          Started learning a new number in the show: Really like the style, however was difficult to learn without my partner.
          Learnt two another numbers in the show: These two numbers were a lot easier as there wasnt any partner so I didn't have to rely on someone else.
          Had Lunch: Got to know the Dance Captain more. 
          Learnt two more numbers in the show: These were the hardest to learn as they had partner work in it, and I will not have my partner to work with until next week, this worries me.
          Short break: We took a short break.
          Learnt the last two numbers in Act One: These two were easier as I didn't have a partner however, the girls dance was harder without having other people around you dancing, as there is a lot of cannons and freestyle. This is a lot easier to do when you have other people dancing with you.
          Recapped everything that I learnt that day: I remembered more than I thought I would, however I still dont feel completely comfortable with the choreography as I haven't got my partner to work with.
          Travelled Home: Easy journey, went through in my head what I learnt that day, happy that I had finished Act One.
          Watched Act Two for the show: Looking forward to learning Act Two tomorrow. Went over the choreography that I had learnt that day.
          Went for a meal with friends: Met up with my friends from home that I hadnt seen for a while.
          Got ready for bed: Packed my bag ready for the next day, to save stress in the morning.
 
 
How I felt about the day

It was great to start learning a new show, and I think I will really enjoy it, however I am still feeling apprehensive about it all as I have realised I do not enjoy learning a show on my own without having the rest of the cast with me, especially without my partner as you cant do the choreography properly without them. It has also made me realise even more that Im the new one in a cast that have already worked together and know the show very well. This is a new experience for me in my career.


____________________________________________________________


Chart Diagram - I found this format very productive. It was great to see visually how my day had been broken down in time and what I spent the most time on. I thought this was a good way to reflect on what I spend my time doing and how I could improve my schedule. I constantly feel like I do not have enough time in the day to do everything I want to do. I used this method for a few weeks as well as another format of writing a diary to see where I spend my time and how I could improve as each day is different this gave me a better view of a usual schedule rather than using it for one day.

 
 
 

Breakdown of Day

 

          Getting ready for Work: 2 hours

          Travelling to and from work: 3 hours

          Rehearsing: 6 hours - broken down: Recapping 1 hour, learning new material: 3 hours Practice/ cleaning all new material: 2 hours 

          Uni Work/other errands: 4 hours

          Social: 2 hours

          Rest: 6 hours

 

There were two other ways that I found useful. I found the what if? way interesting. I happened to use this format on a day when I had an audition. I had been unsuccessful at the audition but found this task useful. At the end of the day I thought about what it would have been like if I had got the job. It made me realise that I didn't actually want the job and that I was mainly going just because there was an audition and there hadn't been many at the time. From doing this it made me think about what I actually wanted, and what I needed to do in order to get there. This was very productive and I started looking into a different way to network and get into the area I wanted to work in.

 
I also found the format Another View useful. Trying to view your day from a different perspective was really interesting. On the day that I used this format, was the first day of blocking  with everyone from the cast, dancers and singers. Our dance captain came across stressed, unorganised and kept changing what she wanted. Overall the day was difficult and stressful. I decided to look at the day from the perspective of my dance captain. After doing this it made me realise that however difficult and stressful the day was for me, it must have been even harder for her. It made me more understanding and patient. For the rest for the blocking rehearsals I found I was a lot more understanding and was more patient with the process and tried to get other cast members to be more understanding.

 
Looking at the different ways to reflect. It made me realise that most of the formats have a different purpose and helps you to look at things differently, for example if you wanted to breakdown what you spend your time doing and how you could improve it, I would use the chart format, however this wouldn't be as useful if you wanted to look more into how you felt about the day and the emotions that you had gone through.      

No comments:

Post a Comment